Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is loaded with juicy chunks of chicken, sweet corn, savory black beans, and tangy tomatoes, all cooked together in the Instant Pot for maximum flavor and convenience. This hearty and flavorful soup is perfect for those busy weeknights when you need a quick and delicious meal on the table.
And the best part? It’s topped with crunchy tortilla strips, creamy avocados, and a zesty squeeze of fresh lime juice. Trust me, this soup is a crowd-pleaser that will have everyone coming back for seconds. So let’s fire up that Instant Pot and get cooking!
I especially love this recipe because the ingredients are pantry staples. On those nights when I do not have anything planned for dinner, this recipe can be a lifesaver. And get this, the recipe is prepped, cooked and served in 12 minutes (plus the time it takes to bring to pressure)!
The Instant Pot has definitely changed the dinner routine at my house and my family is just loving the variety of recipes that can be made. If you are looking for more instant pot recipes, my Instant Pot Pulled Pork, Instant Pot Minestrone Soup, Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup, Instant Pot Chicken Stew, and Instant Pot Bone-In Chicken Thighs have been the top hits at my house.
Boneless chicken breasts: Boneless chicken breasts are a versatile and popular source of lean protein. When cooked properly, boneless chicken breasts are moist and flavorful, making them a favorite among health-conscious individuals and fitness enthusiasts. It’s important to handle raw chicken safely and cook it to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure it is safe to eat.
Diced tomatoes with chilies: Diced tomatoes with chilies are a flavorful and convenient ingredient that can be used to add a spicy kick to a variety of dishes. They are made by combining diced tomatoes with chopped green chilies and are often used in Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine. They can be used as a base for salsa, added to soups and stews, or used as a topping for tacos and burritos.
Diced green chilies: Diced green chilies are a versatile ingredient that can be used to add a mild to moderate amount of heat to a variety of dishes. They are made from fresh green chili peppers that have been diced and canned in water or vinegar. Diced green chilies can be added to soups, stews, casseroles, and dips, or used as a topping for burgers and sandwiches.
Chili powder: Chili powder is a blend of ground chili peppers and other spices, such as cumin, garlic powder, and oregano. It is commonly used to season chili, soups, stews, and meat dishes, and can also be used to add flavor to roasted vegetables and dips. Chili powder can vary in heat level, so it’s important to read the label and use it according to your taste preferences.
Table of Contents
Tips & Substitutions
- If you prefer a spicier soup, you can increase the amount of chili powder and crushed red pepper.
- For a creamier soup, you can add a can of coconut milk or heavy cream at the end of the cooking time.
- Don’t skip the toppings! The crunchy tortilla strips, diced avocado, and fresh lime juice really enhance the flavor and texture of the soup.
- If you’re short on time, you can use pre-cooked, shredded chicken instead of cooking the chicken breasts from scratch. Just add the shredded chicken to the Instant Pot with the other ingredients and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can still make this recipe on the stovetop or in a slow cooker. Simply adjust the cooking time and method accordingly.
- This recipe makes a large batch of soup, so it’s perfect for meal prep or feeding a crowd. You can also freeze leftovers for a quick and easy meal later on.
HOW TO MAKE
- Place chicken breast into instant pot
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Cover and turn to sealing. Cook high pressure for 15 minutes. Quick-release or natural release when done cooking.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and a squeeze of fresh lime juice!
Next, add the chicken to the bottom of the Instant Pot. I typically use chicken breasts, but boneless skinless chicken thighs could also be used. Then, sprinkle on a variety of spices.
PRO TIP: If you prefer a spicy tortilla soup, double the red chili flakes, and chili powder. You can also eliminate these two ingredients or cut in half if you are extremely sensitive to spice.
Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and turn to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
After the cooking time is complete, release the pressure. To release the pressure, you can wait for the natural pressure release OR release the pressure manually by turning the valve to “VENTING“.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
You sure can. One of the best things about using the instant pot is that you can safely cook meat from frozen – quickly! If using frozen chicken breasts, increase the cooking time to 25 minutes.
- Black olives
- Tortilla strips
- Lime juice
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Fire-roasted tomatoes
- Sour cream
The toppings you can add to your tortilla soup are almost limitless. There are a few ideas to get you started but feel free to customize your bowl by adding your favorites.
Can I freeze Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Yes, this soup freezes well. Let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
How long does it take to make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup?
The cook time for the recipe is 15 minutes in the Instant Pot, but it takes additional time for the pot to come to pressure and for the pressure to release naturally. So, in total, the recipe takes around 35 minutes to an hour from start to finish.
Can I use a different type of meat instead of chicken breasts?
Absolutely! You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or even ground chicken in this recipe. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly and ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F for food safety.
Can I make this recipe on the stovetop instead of in an Instant Pot?
Yes, you can make this recipe on the stovetop by using a large pot or Dutch oven. Cook the chicken first, then sauté the onions and garlic, add the remaining ingredients, and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes until the flavors meld together.
Can I make this recipe vegetarian or vegan?
Yes, you can make this recipe vegetarian or vegan by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and omitting the chicken. You can also add more vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, and carrots to bulk up the soup.
How To Make Homemade Tortilla Strips in the Oven?
Making homemade tortilla strips in the oven is easy and a great way to add a crunchy topping to soups and salads. Here are the steps:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Stack several corn tortillas on top of each other and slice them into thin strips, about 1/4-inch wide.
- Place the tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spray the tortilla strips with cooking spray or lightly brush them with oil.
- Sprinkle the strips with salt and any other seasonings you like, such as chili powder, garlic powder, or cumin.
- Bake the tortilla strips for 10-12 minutes, or until they are crispy and golden brown. You may need to stir them once or twice during baking to ensure they cook evenly.
- Remove the tortilla strips from the oven and let them cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Once the tortilla strips are cool, use them to top your soup or salad. Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Homemade tortilla strips are a great way to add texture and flavor to your favorite dishes, and they’re so easy to make!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, fresh or frozen
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 4.5 ounces diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup tortilla strips
- avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, black olives, tomatoes, fresh lime optional
- Add the ingredients. Place chicken breasts into the bottom of the instant pot. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook. Cover and turn to sealing. Cook high pressure for 15 minutes. Quick release or natural release when done cooking. Remove the chicken breasts and shred. Add them back to the soup.
- Serve. Serve with your favorite toppings and a squeeze of fresh lime juice!