Instant pot ground beef stroganoff is a quick and effortless dinner option that is sure to captivate the taste buds of both children and adults. The star of the dish is undoubtedly the creamy sauce, brimming with robust flavors that will leave you craving more. From its velvety sauce to its harmonious blend of ingredients, this dish is destined to claim a prominent place in your menu rotation.
Traditionally, Beef and Noodles has been a cherished classic, refined over time. However, thanks to the convenience of the Instant Pot, the preparation of this beloved dish has been revolutionized. In under 30 minutes, you can transform simple ingredients into a culinary masterpiece that is ready to be savored and shared.
How to Make
To prepare the Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff, start by activating the sauté mode on the Instant Pot. Melt butter and sauté the onions until they become translucent, releasing their aromatic flavors. Next, add in the spices, garlic, and ground beef, allowing them to cook until the beef is nicely browned, imparting a delicious savory essence to the dish.
Opting for lean ground beef is a great way to keep this recipe budget-friendly while still ensuring a flavorful and satisfying dish. However, if you’re looking to switch things up or explore different cuts of beef, you have some excellent alternatives to ground beef.
One option is chuck roast, a flavorful and well-marbled cut of beef that becomes incredibly tender when cooked low and slow. To use chuck roast in this recipe, trim off any excess fat and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Sear the beef in the Instant Pot before adding the other ingredients, and then proceed with the rest of the recipe as directed.
Another alternative is beef tenderloin, which is known for its tenderness and melt-in-your-mouth texture. When using beef tenderloin, it’s best to cut it into thin strips before cooking. This will ensure that the meat cooks quickly and remains tender. Sauté the strips of beef tenderloin until they are browned, and continue with the recipe as instructed.
Lastly, top sirloin is another great option. It is a versatile and flavorful cut that works well in stroganoff. Cut the top sirloin into thin strips and brown them in the Instant Pot before proceeding with the remaining steps of the recipe.
Once the beef is cooked, incorporate the flour, which will help thicken the sauce and give it a silky texture. To layer additional flavors and textures, place a medley of mixed veggies and mushrooms on top of the meat, and pour in the beef broth, infusing the dish with a savory essence.
Now, it’s time to seal the Instant Pot for cooking. Ensure that the lid is securely in place and set the valve to seal, allowing the pressure to build within the pot. Select a cooking time of 8 minutes and opt for high pressure. This will ensure that the ingredients meld together beautifully, intensifying the flavors.
Once the cooking time is complete, you have the choice of a quick release or a natural release. For a firmer noodle consistency, go for the quick release method. However, if you prefer softer egg noodles, opt for the natural release, allowing the pressure to gradually dissipate.
After the pressure has been released, gently stir in the Worcestershire sauce, cooked pasta, and Greek yogurt. The Worcestershire sauce adds a tangy kick, while the pasta and Greek yogurt contribute to the dish’s heartiness and creaminess.
Finally, your Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff is ready to be enjoyed. Serve it immediately, savoring the irresistible combination of tender beef, flavorful vegetables, and creamy sauce. This delightful dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser, leaving everyone at the table satisfied and content.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks to enhance your experience in preparing Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff:
- Sauté for Flavor: Take the time to properly sauté the onions and brown the ground beef before proceeding with the recipe. This step adds depth and richness to the overall flavor of the dish.
- Use Lean Ground Beef: Opt for lean ground beef to keep the dish lighter and healthier. It will still provide great flavor while reducing excess fat.
- Customize with Beef Cuts: Experiment with different cuts of beef, such as chuck roast, beef tenderloin, or top sirloin, for a variation in taste and texture. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure tender results.
- Adjust Seasonings: Feel free to adjust the spices and seasonings to suit your taste preferences. Add a pinch of paprika, a dash of thyme, or a sprinkle of dried herbs to elevate the flavors.
- Thicken the Sauce: If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can mix a small amount of cornstarch or arrowroot powder with water and stir it into the dish during the last few minutes of cooking. Allow it to simmer for a few minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Don’t Overcook the Pasta: If using egg noodles or any other type of pasta, be cautious not to overcook them. Follow the recommended cooking time on the pasta package, and consider slightly undercooking them before adding them to the dish. They will continue to cook when combined with the hot sauce in the Instant Pot.
- Add Fresh Herbs: For a burst of freshness and added aroma, garnish the finished dish with freshly chopped herbs such as parsley or chives.
Can I use frozen ground beef in this recipe?
It is generally recommended to use thawed ground beef for even cooking. If you choose to use frozen ground beef, ensure it is fully cooked and browned before proceeding with the recipe.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff ahead of time. Prepare the dish as directed and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers of this recipe. Place the cooled stroganoff in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag, removing as much air as possible. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Can I substitute sour cream for Greek yogurt?
Yes, you can use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt if desired. It will add a tangy and creamy element to the dish.
Can I make this Gluten Free?
You sure can. Make this recipe gluten-free by using cornstarch instead of flour to thicken the stew. You will want to make a cornstarch slurry, which is cornstarch mixed with cold water or broth before adding to the hot liquid so the cornstarch doesn’t clump. Swap out the egg noodles for gluten free noodles.
How To Make in the Crockpot
If you prefer to use a crockpot or slow cooker to prepare the Ground Beef Stroganoff, follow these instructions:
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Sauté the onions until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the spices, garlic, and ground beef to the skillet. Cook the beef until it is browned, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Transfer the cooked beef and onion mixture to the crockpot.
- Stir in the flour to thicken the sauce.
- Layer the mixed veggies and mushrooms on top of the beef mixture in the crockpot. Pour in the beef broth to provide moisture and enhance the flavors.
- Cover the crockpot with its lid and set it to cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours. This slow cooking process allows the flavors to meld together and the meat to become tender.
- Once the cooking time is complete, gently stir in the Worcestershire sauce, cooked pasta, and Greek yogurt. This will add tanginess, creaminess, and heartiness to the dish.
- Serve the Ground Beef Stroganoff immediately, savoring the harmonious combination of tender beef, flavorful vegetables, and creamy sauce.
Using a crockpot or slow cooker for this recipe allows for a longer cooking time, resulting in a dish that is rich in flavor and has tender beef. It also offers the convenience of preparing the ingredients ahead of time and letting the slow cooker do the work while you go about your day.
More Dinner Ideas
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- Pulled Pork Roast Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken and Stuffing
- Shredded Chicken for Tacos (Instant Pot)
Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 12 ounces cooked egg noodles
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Saute the onions and ground the beef. Turn Instant Pot to saute mode. Saute butter and onions until translucent. Add spices, garlic, and ground beef. Cook until browned. Stir in flour.
- Add the vegetables. Add the mixed veggies, mushrooms, and beef broth. Place the lid onto the instant pot, making sure the valve is set to sealed.
- Cook. Cook high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Add the pasta and yogurt. Gently stir in the Worcestershire sauce, Greek yogurt and cooked pasta.
- Serve. Serve immediately.